Bear Island, Florida
Developed by Chris Britton
Bear Island v2 is a redux of our original Bear Island scenery, released back in 2013. Although this original scenery was fairly popular, it was not very detailed and used almost all default objects. Now four years down the road, and with the original Bear Island no longer reflecting our current standards, we decided that it was time for a redux..
Bear Island has been completely recreated in incredible detail, utilizing nearly all custom objects. Animated Birds and Dolphins are now the only default objects used in this detailed scenery! Bear Island v2 includes custom hi-definition textured models depicting South Florida native vegetation, trees, and more! Many vegetation textures have been color-matched to blend well with the FTX Global matched photo real. A crisp layer of 10m mesh has also been included to give the island some slopes and elevation.
SODE has been utilized in this scenery to bring many environmentally-dynamic features including rain puddles, ambient sounds, the windsock and more!
30cm/px photoreal ground textures.
Color-matched to FTX Global.
10m Terrain Mesh for uneven surfaces.
Hand-placed custom HD vegetation this is native to Southern Florida.
Custom HD Buildings.
All models incorporate LODs for improved performance!
A configurator to activate/deactivate multiple features of the scenery.
Reworked Water Class for Crescent Lake.
Environmentally-Dynamic features utilizing SODE!
SODE is used to control a few different environmentally-dynamic features in the scenery.
Windsock - 4 levels of animation are provided.
No wind, Low, Medium & High.
The Frog - This frog REALLY loves the rain. You will not be able to find him at any other time. You can find him perched on a rock near the dock during the rainy days of March-October.
Ambient Cicadas - These guys are noisy, but leaving them out would leave out a big part of the Florida ambient sounds. They can be heard during the day from May through July. Want them to shut up? Pray for rain.
Ambient Crickets and Tree Frogs - These can be heard at Dusk and Night, year-round. Rain will silence them.
Ambient Birds - Songbirds can be heard at Dawn and during the Day, year-round. Rain will silence them.
Rain Puddles - Puddles will only appear when it rains.
Current Release | v2.1.4
Format: .EXE | File Size: 27.8 MB
Bear Island – Change Log
- Fixed an issue caused by SODE, where dynamic objects were failing to appear or not functioning correctly.
- Added normal (bump) maps for all textures.
- Super Cub is now implemented using SODE.
- Improvements to model specular textures.
- Improvements to 30cm photoreal:
- Reworked blendmask to fix areas where default shoreline was bleeding through.
- Optimizations to decrease file size.
- Removed whitecaps for a better blend with default water textures.
- Textures now use DXT5 compression for improved quality.
- Added metal roof ambient rain sound to hanger (Dynamically controlled by SODE)
- Added configurator option for new dense runway grass.
- Changes made to configurator options:
- ‘Default Vector’ is now the default compatibility option instead of FTX Global.
- ‘Tree Density’ now uses radio buttons instead of check boxes, eliminating the need to select all three boxes for maximum density.
- Removed ‘Palmettos’ (Alongside runway) option from configurator. They now show up by default.
- Fixed an issue where a developmental build of the Super Cub model was accidentally included in the previous release.
- OFF files will now be properly removed upon uninstall.
- Fixed typos in documentation.
- Added Tree Stumps and Fallen Tree Trunk models to the scenery. (Placed under Clutter items in the Control Panel)
- Added custom 7cm/px ground textures to enhance the shoreline and water blending near the dock.
- Added dense Wild Flower filler vegetation. (New Control Panel option)
- Added 3D vegetation to the clearing between the Row Boat and Windsock.
- Added lapping water ambient sound near dock.
- Added Specular maps to House.
- Added Specular maps to Hanger.
- Reworked Water Reed placement.
- Repositioned several rocks.
- Fixed a seasonal bug in the 30cm imagery.
- Configurator Changes:
- Added missing option to enable/disable Weeds & Tall Grass.
- Added option to enable/disable Wild Flower fillers.
- Retitled a few options.
- SODE XML Updates:
- Repositioned and added several Rain Puddles.
- Added support for SODE handled P3Dv4 native models.
- Renamed a few BGL files.
- Purchased new Super Cub model. Removed and replaced older model.
- Bear Island v2 will now be removed from the Scenery Library when uninstalling. (P3Dv3 and v4 only!)
- Now includes P3Dv4 native models.
- Cicadas can now be heard from May-July.
- Added a config option to disable the static Super Cub instead of the Row Boat.
- Added an additional LOD to the Super Cub model.
- Initial Release