Talkeetna Airport, Alaska
Developed by Chris Britton
Because of the butchered nature of the Talkeetna, Alaska Airport in MSFS, and the fact that it's the main airport used by the Gotbush? community, which I have been a part of for years, I decided that now was as good a time as any to give this historic backcountry airport a much needed face-lift.
Talkeetna has been rebuilt from the ground up with custom textures for the runway, aprons and gravel areas. Tree placement in the vicinity of the airport has also been completely redone, now exposing the marsh area to the east of the airport, as it should be. The scenery utilizes mostly default models, but does include some custom models, with plans for more in future updates.
This rendition of Talkeetna is part of my series of lite releases for MSFS 2020. These releases aren't extremely feature rich, but are meant to be an improvement over what the simulator currently offers, usually created to fix problematic airport issues or design.
Custom Runway, Apron, & Gravel Textures.
Overhauled tree placement in the vicinity of the airport.
Default and some custom models.
Overhauls the Matanuska-Susitna, uncovering numerous gravel bars.
Reworked road placement around Talkeetna.
Includes the Talkeetna Village Airstrip (AK44).
Includes Christiansen Lake (AK8).
Includes the Talkeetna Railroad Bridge POI.
Current Release | v1.1.3
Format: .ZIP | File Size: 4.4 MB
Talkeetna – Change Log
Folder name and file structure has changed in this update. Please remove the old package from your Community addons folder to ensure there are no conflicts!
- Changed folder name & file structure!
- Fixed duplicate beacon tower.
- Fixed runway surface incorrectly labeled as Concrete at the Village Strip.
- Replaced default windsocks with EOLib model.
- SU9 changed the way that polygons are saved and compiled. This update incorporates those changes.
November 18, 2021 | v1.1.2
- Excluded road traffic from runway at AK44.
- Fixed default runways not being excluded at AK8.
- Fixed multiple taxi point/path issues at all 3 airports.
- Fixed trees growing through hangar at PATK.
- Removed some parking spots at PATK that could not easily be connected to taxi paths (A requirement as of SU7).
- Replaced helipad painted lines “H” with helipad apron at PATK.
- Reworked and added terraforming to Christiansen Lake to smooth out some bumps in the water.
October 20, 2021 | v1.1.1
- Added a fuel parking spot (Now that the default fuel objects can finally be excluded).
September 9, 2021 | v1.1.0
- Compatibility improvements for julysfire’s Talkeetna, Alaska Area Airport/Scenery Pack.
- Increased terraforming poly/rectangle priority to 6 (Although, little difference was observed).
- Removed terraforming from a few lakes where elevation conflicts were observed.
- Fixed an issue where water wasn’t properly excluded for a gravelbar.
July 28, 2021 | v1.0.9
- Added static aircraft at Christiansen Lake.
- Added some more clutter around Alaska Floats and Skis.
- Fixed some water polygon blending anomalies.
- Removed some 2D aircraft footprints from view in the default aerials.
- Replaced a few more docks on Christiansen Lake.
- The Railroad Bridge is now a part of Emerald Object Library. (Please grab the latest update!)
May 9, 2021 | v1.0.8
- Added a couple previously hidden gravel bars.
- Added water to the missing areas on the big island, just West of Talkeetna.
- Excluded stray vegetation on many gravel bars.
- Fixed a few floating Hangars at Talkeetna.
- Fixed an area where water was overlapping the shoreline.
- Fixed missing apron text at Talkeetna.
May 6, 2021 | v1.0.7
- Added a missing gravel parking lot area at Talkeetna.
- Added a water apron to hide aircraft and dock aerial textures at Alaska Floats and Skis.
- Added a grass apron at Talkeetna Village Strip to hide aircraft in the aerial texture.
- Added another dock parking spot at Alaska Floats and Skis, and repositioned original.
- Added Talkeenta VOR model (Requires World Update: USA).
- Improvements to Alaska Floats and Skis on Christiansen Lake, adding more detail.
- Integration of Emerald Object Library.
- Removed custom material library files (Now included in EOL to reduce duplicate files).
- Replaced the static XCub with a parking spot at Talkeetna Village Strip.
February 16, 2021 | v1.0.6
- Added Christiansen Lake Seaplane Base (AK8).
- Added water to numerous missing lakes, between Christiansen and Fish Lake.
- Fixed a dock elevation issue on Christiansen Lake.
- Fixed a taxiway edge blending issue.
- Fixed an issue where POI “creator” field was left blank.
- Fixed an issue where two islands were covered by water on Christiansen Lake.
- Fixed a visibility issue for a hidden material.
- Fixed taxiway edge lights spacing.
- Made a small edge positioning tweak to the main apron.
January 3, 2021 | v1.0.5
- Added another railway bridge further down the line, that was unknowingly skipped over.
- Added LODs to the Talkeetna Railway Bridge.
- Added normal texture to the Talkeetna Railway Bridge.
- Added runway starts to the Talkeetna Village Strip (AK44).
- Added water to a few streams and other areas.
- Fixed numerous water overlap issues along the river.
- Improved tree placement at the two unlisted airstrips North-Northwest of Talkeetna.
- Improved tree placement along the marsh area border, to the Southeast of Talkeetna Airport.
- Removed trees on the river approach (RWY 34) end of the Village Strip.
- Uncovered more gravel bars on the river to the Northeast of Talkeetna!
December 22, 2020 | v1.0.4
- Added the Talkeetna railroad bridge.
- Added some more bushes along the village strip runway.
- Fixed issue where runway 01 end was elevated at PATK.
- Fixed a few issues where default road textures were not removed in certain areas.
- Fixed an issue where some static models were placed in parking spawns.
- Fixed an issue where some static models were unintentionally using 3rd party repaints.
- Fixed an issue where the second set of VASI lights were missing.
- Fixed an issue where some gravel areas were being excluded.
- Fixed several areas where water was overlapping the shoreline near the railroad bridge.
- Improved the implementation of the apron text, eliminating bleed-through, and allowing for snow-cover.
- Improved the apron text texture to match the shade of yellow used by taxi lines.
- Removed a few unneeded terraforming polys.
- Renamed model libraries BGL.
November 16, 2020 | v1.0.3
- Fixed an issue where windsocks were pointed 180* in the wrong direction.
- Fixed an issue where the custom gravel texture was way too bright in direct sunlight.
- Renamed included ground materials. (Previous scenery version needs to be removed!)
- Ground materials now use .DDS format.
October 27, 2020 | v1.0.2
- Added hundreds of gravel bars that were previously covered by the river. (WIP)
- Added better roads around Talkeetna. (WIP)
- Added water to a few ponds near the airport.
- Added docks to Christiansen Lake.
- Adjusted positioning of parking #12 & 13 to make it less likely for an AI model to clip the hanger.
- Adjusted apron near taxiway entrance, fixing some layout issues.
- Fixed a few areas not covered by water in the river.
- Fixed a compatibility issue where custom objects could turn white in some cases.
- Flattened the river near PATK to allow for better access to gravel bars.
- Improvements to the Village Airstrip.
- Removed default road textures near airport.
September 16, 2020 | v1.0.1
- Fixed priority issue with tree placement that occurred after the v220.127.116.11 update.
- Fixed compatibility issue that could cause custom models to disappear when using other 3rd party addons.
- Fixed runway elevation issues at Talkeetna Village Strip.
September 12, 2020 | v1.0.0
- Initial Release